|This article contain profile of Urek Mazino as High Ranker. If you're looking for his data when he climb as a Regular in the Hidden Floor, see Data Urek.|
|“||What fun would it be to become the king of the Tower? Tell Zahard to keep his boring seat. I will get out of the Tower. Outside the Tower, there exists a vast world, rolling skies stretch endlessly, and countless stars illuminate the darkness. A place that is a thousand times -- no, a billion times wider and freer than the tower. Once you imagine that such a world exists, don't you think all those things you want are all so trivial?||”|
Urek Mazino (우렉 마지노, "Urek Majino") is an Irregular, currently 4th in Rank. He was the strongest active Ranker before Zahard became active once again. He is also the most recent person to be part of the Top 5 High Rankers inside the Tower.
He is considered to be on the same level as Phantaminum by weaker Rankers, however, his true rank is almost impossible to determine in terms of the Top 4 ranks because the top 2 Rankers are inactive and thus, cannot be compared with Urek. He mentioned to Baam on the 43rd Floor that they would meet again later on the 77th Floor, then left the floor. His current location is unknown.
- 1 History
- 2 Appearance and Personality
- 3 Sobriquet
- 4 Tower of God: Part 2 - The Return of the Prince
- 5 Powers and Abilities
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Notes and Trivia
- 8 Quotes
- 9 Gallery
- 10 Alternate Translations
- 11 References
- 12 Navigation
At some point, Urek tracked Phantaminum and followed him inside the Tower. It took Urek only 50 years to pass every test and climb all the way up to the top of the Tower. He is recorded as the fastest person to climb the Inner Tower through an orthodox method and it would probably be accurate to say he scaled the Tower faster than Zahard himself.
During his climb, Urek took Arie Hon's special test on the 100th Floor; the task was for Urek to endure his attacks for 10 minutes, but Urek fought evenly and passed Arie Hon's special test causing him to become the most famous Ranker in the Tower as a result. After becoming a Ranker, Urek used his reward from the test and took control of the 77th Floor; he then transferred the control again to Baek Ryun, who set up the stronghold of the Wolhaiksong there.
There was a time when Urek, who had a complaint about his rank being lower than Phantaminum's, broke into the Ranking Administration Office, captured Robert Aisand and threatened him to raise his rank. To Urek, who asked, "Have you ever seen me fight Phantaminum?" Aisand answered briefly and without hesitation "You will be the loser". Urek Mazino, shocked, could do nothing but go home bitterly. As a result of this incident, a number of jokes about Mazino emerged and nicknames like Urek Ma-Loser and Loser Mazino appeared. This climaxed into the production of comic strips featuring the incident which Baek Ryun said would "prove quite useful in the treatment of chronic depression". It appears that Urek has managed to get over this incident.
Urek's appearance on the Tower upset the High Ranker rankings which had been frozen for quite some time.
Appearance and Personality
Urek is a tall man, noted to be handsome. He has blonde hair, piercing red eyes and a well-defined musculature with a tattoo of his name and the Wing Tree symbol on his back. He generally wears a snapback backward on his head and has a 'rapper' look about him.
Urek is said to have a ruthless personality, leading him to be respected by all those who dare call themselves men and at the same time seems to be disliked by seemingly every woman he meets. He is also shown to be extremely confident to the point of arrogance, often ridiculing the efforts of those who were no match for him.
Despite his ruthlessness and boastful nature, he still wants to help others and friends in need, (e.g. Baek Ryun with his "relocation" and Ha Yuri Zahard for Zygaena's Flower matter). He will also help strangers if he thinks they are "worthy" to be helped (e.g. the young Hell Joe). He respects one's courage, determination, and nobility. (e.g. Viole who dared to challenge him despite being a regular or when Viole protected Miseng from his attack at the cost of him being severely injured).
He is also not entirely without mercy, as he was willing to spare Team Tangsooyook if they were willing to give up the Zygaena's Flower. Even with all his arrogance, Urek does not consider those beneath him as bugs like Gustang did, with it being the main reason why he despises the Po Bidau Family Head.
In the Hidden Floor, his enemy data which is a version of himself is much smaller like a child. He has a scar on his face due to the errors the real Urek Mazino created back when he was a regular in the Hidden Floor.
Urek's sobriquet is Ray Barracuda (레이 바라쿠다, "Ray Barracuda"). Ray refers to his combat style, in which he fires shinsu at the speed of light. Barracuda is the name of the most aggressive and ferocious White Steel Eel in the Tower. Although his formal sobriquet is Ray Barracuda, just Barracuda can also refer to Urek in the Tower.
As the second strongest currently active Ranker, just under Zahard himself as of recently, as an Irregular and as one of the founders of the Wolhaiksong, Urek Mazino is one of the most influential and feared people inside the Tower. Moreover, it is not an overstatement to say that his every single move affects the future of the Tower.
Powers and Abilities
As the holder of rank 4 in the entire tower, Urek holds a vast amount of power and skill, easily outmatching almost everyone in agility, strength, Shinsu Control, and many other fields of battle and is also extremely skilled and aggressive in almost every Position in the Tower, his main Position being Fisherman. Urek Mazino, while standing on his final Position, had once knocked down a Light Bearer who was also on their final Position; figuratively speaking, it's similar to a goalkeeper scoring a goal from across the entire field. After entering the Tower, he was able to pass all of the Floors to become a Ranker the fastest out of anyone in the Tower's history, taking only a tenth of the average time people usually scale the Tower in (50 years). Prior to the Zygaena's flower test on the 21st Floor, Urek killed several Rankers that were sent after him and soon after easily beat back Team Tangsooyook and nearly killed Baam with a single tremendous attack, although Baam managed to scratch him before going down and he was protecting Miseng. After the test, he completely foddered the three Rankers that came to stop him within seconds. He also claims that in order for him to not be embarrassed while talking about it, it has to be at least 1000 other Rankers against him. Urek's extraordinary power and skill was later shown further during his time in the Floor of Death, where he effortlessly defeated the Slayer Karaka using only 1% of his power and his index finger, with Karaka noting that it would be impossible for him to beat even one of Urek's fingers and opting to abandon the fight by self-exploding himself. He was also able to easily outmatch and defeat Hell Joe, empowered by the Red Thryssa, with only 10% of his power, leaving Joe and Baam utterly astounded by Urek's overwhelming power. Po Bidau Gustang commented that should he refuse to return the souls of the inhabitants of the Floor of Death, Urek in his rage could destroy the Po Bidau Family. Garam Zahard even wanted Urek to kill Zahard, suggesting she believed Urek was strong enough to do so, though Gustang commented Urek wasn't strong enough to actually do that.
Urek has been extremely powerful even back when he was just a Regular climbing the Tower. The "God" of guardians said Urek was definitely much stronger than him when the latter encountered him on the Hell Train and he is among the few, with the only other exception being Zahard and the 10 Family Heads, to have ever defeated him. Baam later stated that while the "god"'s tremendous power was similar to Urek, Urek's power felt much greater. Even more impressive was that he was also able to fight on the same level as Arie Hon, the strongest of the 10 Great Family Heads, and was the first person in the Tower's history to pass his special test, in which the rules were of "enduring" his attacks but Urek's exceptional power and skill allowed him to deny the rules and instead battle him equally; regardless of their even skills, Arie Hon would admit after the fight that Urek was "far better".
Immense Physical Strength: Urek has shown extraordinary levels of completely monstrous physical strength to the point that despite limiting himself to a max of 1% power output and using only his index finger, Urek still managed to effortlessly overpower Karaka, punishing his attack with a shockwave that cleaved Karaka's body and devastated the area, with Hoaqin noting that the attack would have killed him had he not been shielded. He was also able to easily dig a cave for Baam to get them and Yuri to safety. After injecting Joe with the drug that began to separate him from Red Tyrassa, Urek was able to forcibly rip him from Joe's body with a single punch and then easily completely render Tyrassa helpless with a grip to the neck and crush it bare-handed.
Immense Shinsu Resistance and Durability: Urek has demonstrated unseen levels of immense shinsu resistance. He can effortlessly resist almost any Lighthouses to the point that he openly brags on how useless lighthouses are against him and has claimed that even Opera can only stop him for more than 0.1 seconds. In a later fight, he came out completely unscathed from Karaka's shinsu attack, and later on was again completely unhurt by Karaka's self-explosion, casually shrugging it off while protecting Ha Yura, Miseng, and Wangnan. Urek also easily shrugged off Red Thyrassa's shinsu beams and also displayed immense physical durability, taking punches from Red Tyrassa with no injuries to himself.
Extraordinary Speed and Agility: People who have seen Urek Mazino in combat have evaluated his combat style as "aggressive, ferocious and fast, but very beautiful". Mazino has enough raw speed of movement in that he can travel roughly fifty meters from one stance to a mid-air kick in a literal instant. In his fight with Hell Joe, Urek proved agile enough to effortlessly maneuver through Baam's Shinsu Bubbles to avoid Hell Joe's attacks and was able to quickly catch him off-guard and grab his arm as well as stab Hell Joe with the syringe to remove Red Thyrassa from him without him even noticing.
Shinsu Mastery: Urek is extremely proficient in the use of shinsu, manifesting it in the form of a yellow-white hue, as he has been seen to be capable of controlling shinsu with great ease, as if by pure bodily instincts, to tremendous effect, able to create large explosions and powerful Baangs as well as greatly enhance his punches with minimum effort and can unleash shinsu at the speed of light, an ability that is fired with enough power that even specialized equipment cannot block it, as shown when he fires a massive white shinsu beam that obliterates two Rankers before they could even get close. His shinsu's mastery and power is even so great that with only 10% of his power, Urek effortlessly outmatched Hell Joe powered by Red Thyrassa, able to easily send him flying a great distance and with a single beam fired from the simple flick of his fingers, completely dispersed an attack from him, utterly shocking Joe with his exceptional power over shinsu, even going as far as to mock Joe by stating that the level of power he was using could be easily replicated by many other individuals in the Tower, as well as later on nonachalantly deflecting a powerful beam from Red Thyrassa with a simple flick of his hand after he pulled it out of Joe. With a single Baang, he easily destroyed Red Thyrassa when hitting its weak point. It was noted by Yu Han Sung to Lero-Ro that Urek is the only one who could use Shinsu without a contract from the Guardian and not from a Great Family.
- Shinsu Reading: Urek was able to detect the power of Red Thryssa inside Baam's body.
- Flight: like most Rankers in general, Urek can also fly, levitate and stand in mid-air as if he is standing on solid ground.
- Wonsul: Urek created a white round barrier to protect Ja Wangnan and Yeo Miseng from his attack when he intended to kill Karaka and White.
- Supreme King's Scorching Fist of Death (패왕열사권, Paewangyeolsagwon, probably 覇王熱死拳): A technique in which shinsu is gathered entirely into the fist and released in a giant explosion. Urek claims it is a "legendary" technique. Even while he massively held back the strength of the technique, it was powerful enough that Urek was able to easily severely injure someone of Viole's level of shinsu resistance in a single strike although it should be noted that Viole was shielding Yeo Miseng and was not fully focused but it would have made little difference. It can be inferred that its true destructive power and lethality, when used at full power, is many magnitudes greater.
Spatial Distortion: Urek is able to distort space in order to quickly travel across far distances. As Gustang noted, it is a very dangerous technique and can have serious consequences for every organism on a floor. 
His relationships are somewhat dull, partly because of his masculine manner. He has a magnanimous personality but is very unpopular among women. On the other hand, he has great support and respect from men due to his tremendous power and famous ruthlessness.
- Garam Zahard: Urek fell in love with Garam Zahard on the Floor of Death but Garam rejected him bluntly, telling him to screw off and even calling him shitface, and his repeated attempts caused her to ban him from the Floor of Death. The fact that Urek Mazino had a crush on the Zahard Princess but that Garam herself hates Urek Mazino became a famous rumor even though it was never confirmed. Despite Urek going out with other girls, he could never let go of his feelings for her. The idea of Garam learning that Urek had created Hell Joe was enough to make Urek unwilling to defeat Hell Joe, but once Garam promised to forgive him, albeit unknowingly, Urek happily jumps at the chance to do so.
- Ha Yuri Zahard: As Yuri was present at the planting of "Wolhaiksong", Urek has a friendly relationship with her and is more than willing to accept tasks from her. However, Yuri spoke of him and stated, "He's the best man to fight with, but the worst man to live with". Despite being much more powerful than Yuri, Yuri doesn't seem to hesitate at all to get angry at him and Urek himself comically appears to fear Yuri's temper, expressing nervousness when she angrily kicked and beat on him after learning he had a part in creating Hell Joe and avoiding her question of his part in making Hell Joe the way he did. Urek himself also seemed to find Yuri's taste of men amusing, stating she shouldn't pick on guys just because they're cute, and Yuri in return clearly saw him as a pervert, stating she didn't want to hear that from him.
- 10 Family Heads: As among the very few in the Tower whose power is greater than the 10 Family Heads, they, even Po Bidau Gustang, acknowledge his power and consider him an equal, although they deem Wolhaiksong as just a deception. 'White Sword' Arie Hon praised him as a true warrior after he fought him to a stalemate during his test and even admitted Urek was far better while Khun Eduan picked Urek as "one of the people I wish to battle". It is unknown how he regards the rest of the Family Heads but what is known is that he has considerable distaste and is on bad terms with Po Bidau Gustang: Urek's first meeting with him to find a way to leave the Tower ended badly enough to give Urek a headache and he even said, “It'll be easier for me to dig my way out of the Tower with a spoon than to learn anything from that guy”. When they interacted in the Floor of Death, Urek was immediately suspicious and went as far as to use Spatial Distortion to teleport to Gustang and outright demanded Gustang to return the souls in his grasp. Urek also showed nothing but distaste for Gustang's arrogance that exceeded even Urek as the Po Bidau Family Head treated everyone else except him, the other Great Warriors, and Zahard as a bug. He is rather familiar with their skills, recognizing Shinwonryu when Baam used it as their shinsu control skill, but has indicated that his relationship with the other 10 Family Heads aren't much better than his with Gustang, as he spitefully referred to them as goddamn idiots and that he doesn't hang out with them because of that.
- Zahard: As Zahard is not only one of the only three individuals ranked higher than Urek but also the ruler of the Zahard Empire that Wolhaiksong under Urek is well known for opposing, it is obvious that Urek and Zahard are not on good terms, Urek being unimpressed by Zahard's position as the King of the Tower and Gustang stating Zahard, like with the 10 Family Heads may acknowledge Urek's power like with the 10 Family Heads but he believes Wolhaiksong is just a deception. However, Urek notably has no intention to fulfill Garam's request to kill Zahard, suggesting that he either didn't resent Zahard enough to kill him or he may be wary of fighting Zahard, though Gustang suggested that the latter is the reason, stating that Urek would be better off not going up against Zahard.
- Baek Ryun: Baek Ryun, known to be Urek's best friend, said that Urek is the number one comrade and man. As they are both cofounders of 'Wolhaiksong', Baek Ryun has a special relationship with Urek and the two's influence inside the Tower is comparable to one of the 10 Great Families.
- Hell Joe: When Urek was moping over Garam's complete rejection on the Floor of Death, he met Hell Joe, who wasn't afraid of him at all and in fact excited by Urek as he was from the outside. Urek in return was fascinated by Joe's huge dream of getting every inhabitant of the Floor out and believed he could get everyone out and gave him Red Thryssa to help him. When they meet again, Urek was visibly shocked and disappointed on what he became and uncharacteristically chose not to kill him to kill the monster for good but instead holds back to have Red Thyrassa take over so he can remove it.
- Twenty-Fifth Baam: Yuri stated that Urek is waiting for Baam in the 77th Floor after he went missing.When they first met with Baam as the new Slayer candidate Jyu Viole Grace, Urek quickly became impressed with Viole's character, even more so when Viole managed to scratch Urek in the cheek even while he was protecting Miseng, going as far as to use Wolhaiksong's resources to monitor Viole. Later, Urek admitted he was aware Viole had entered the Floor of Death and came there to help him as they shared the same goal to dethrone Hell Joe and they had no problems working together. Urek would personally express his desire for Baam to join Wolhaiksong. He later advised Baam to not pay any attention to the things he's seen or heard from the people in the Tower, nor what they want from him, and that Baam should remember never to lose himself.
Notes and Trivia
- Because of his exploits, everyone compares him to Phantaminum on who would win.
- Khun Eduan has stated his desire to battle Urek because it was Urek who pushed him out of the Top 5 Rankers.
- A mistranslation once stated that Urek can create life using shinsu. However, it is not Urek, but Enryu, who can do this.
- After Yuri gave half a Wingtree symbol to Ship Leesoo, she told him to give it to Baam along with the message: "Come to the Seventy-Seventh Floor, Urek Mazino is waiting". Urek Mazino may know about or have an interest in Baam.
- Despite his appearance, Urek Mazino is not a good rapper.
- Although Urek met the god of guardians, he did not undergo Revolution. (The comic originally stated otherwise, but SIU explained that it was a typo.)
- SIU plans to deal more deeply with Urek at a further point in the story.
- SIU named him after the Rockfish (우럭, Ooreok in Korean) and the Maginot Line.
- At one point he arrogantly proclaimed himself as the Champion of the Tower.  This can be due to the fact that no other Ranker could match up to him as he was the strongest Ranker active.
- He calls many people baby.
- There will be more story on Urek and Garam relationship in the future.
- In some regards Urek and Baam are similar. They are kind and unassuming despite being so strong. But Urek is nice only to those who he likes.
- (To Noma) "It's written on my back! 'Mazino'. If there's anyone who has a problem with what I do, tell them to come to find me. I'm not afraid of anyone."
- (Talking to Karaka about Ha Yura) "Touching a girl's hair like that is so rude!! I just followed some perfume scent and ran down here. And there happens to be a damsel in distress? I knew it. I'm destined to be every girls hero. Aren't I?"
- (Talking about Hell Joe to Baam and Yuri) "That reckless idiot is sure giving you a hard time, baby. But don't worry anymore. The hero has arrived. Right now, I'm so full of the power of love that I'm invicible!!"
- (To Red Thryssa) "You are just a little worm that can't even talk unless you have a host. And yet you called yourself a God? You don't look like a God to me. You just some useless vomit known as 'Revenge' spewed from the mouth of the Administrator after he died."
- (To Red Thryssa) "Human don't needs power that eats away at their ideals and causes them to harm others purely for the sake of their own goal!"
- (To Po Bidau Gustang) "The reason that fish try to reach the sea isn't because of memories - it's because of instinct."
- (To Baam after offering him to join Wolhaiksong) "I know you are a slayer candidate of FUG. But we choose our own lives, don't we? And we accept people regardless of whether they are from Zahard, FUG, or Ten Great Families. For now, just think over it, baby."
- (To Hell Joe) "You haven't lost your power. You are now simply able to see the world properly. You have now returned to the 'Real You'. From flying around and shooting beams to fighting a High Ranker and Zahard Princess. You got to try all kinds of stuff. It's fine, it's not a big deal. None of that will make you happy. Now all you have to do is move toward your true goal. It's time for you to start over now. You can do it again, Joe."
- (To Baam) "Don't mind any of this. The things that you have heard here. The things that you have seen here. The things that the people here want from you- Don't pay attention to any of it. You are you. Don't ever lose yourself."
- (Korean pronunciation) Oo-rehk Mah-ji-no