Positions are the roles one would take on in battle should they be in a team.
The Definition of the Position
The battles in the Tower are mostly fought as teams and the Position (포지션, pojisheon) is the role an individual plays in a team. Of course it's possible to battle without deciding the Positions, but it's more efficient to divide Positions. The names or the roles are named mostly from the battles of the first 10 Great Families. Thus, the Positions are mainly based on the men vs Shinheuh - livings battles, rather than the men vs men battles. That doesn't mean current Positions are worthless in men vs men battles.
Now that the importance of the men vs men battles are getting bigger than before in the Tower, current Positions are evolving accordingly. All Positions have to make a contract with a Guardian so they are able to use Shinsoo for purposes like Shinsoo strengthening.
Note that one person is not limited to one position. Prince is a Light Bearer, yet possesses Fisherman equipment, and Koon Ran is a Fisherman, but can take the Spear Bearer position with his Lightning Spear techniques. Scouts like Hatsu would also be good at the Fisherman position and Scouts like Leesoo would be good at commanding and strategising, hence his suitability for the Light Bearer position. Apple is capable of being both a Scout and Light Bearer. The top rankers, or at least Urek Mazino and Zahard, are masterfully capable of taking up all position.
The term "Fisherman" (낚시꾼을, nakksikkun-eul) is used to refer to someone that is a perfect combatant capable of fighting in all types of battles; "Fishermen" (낚시꾼은, nakksikkun-eun) is the plural term.
- Fisherman (낚시꾼, nakksikkun; "Angler")
The main offence of the battle, Fishermen are to dash into the heart of the enemy force and decimate their forces, usually through physical attacks.
- Spear Bearer (창지기, 搶지기; "changjigi" or "Spear Keeper")
Spear Bearers act like snipers for the team, throwing their spears with deadly accuracy, but they can also serve a purpose similar to the Fisherman's by using their spear like a staff for close-combat. Technically speaking, they take all long-range matters into their own hands.
- Scout (탐색꾼, 探索꾼; "tamsaegkkun" or "Observer")
Scouts will usually run ahead and investigate enemy forces for info, then return and deliver the information to the Light Bearers. They also help the Fishermen with offence.
- Light Bearer (등대지기, 燈臺; "deungdaejigi" or "Lighthouse Keeper")
Light Bearers store and deliver knowledge to their team-mates while guiding them with the light of their Lighthouse.
- Wave Controller (파도잡이, 波濤잡이; "padojabi" or "Waver")
Wave Controllers are the directors of the battle, aiding their comrades by healing their wounds, annihilating enemy forces or subtly changing the tide of the battle, all through the use of Shinsu. There are many variations of this Position.
- Guide (길잡이, giljab'i; "Pathfinder" or "Assistant")
The Guide is considered a Special Position, but it doesn't seem to be a variation of a main Position. Guides lead the way for the team, they also have excellent analysis skills. It is a very rare Position and they are considered "blessed" by The Tower.
- Defender (디펜더, dipendeo)
Defender's main aim is to protect the Light Bearer and/or Spear Bearer.
- Anima (부리미, burimi; "Subjugator")
An Anima controls living beings, commonly Shinheuh. It seems it's more a talent than a technique, as one cannot just become an Anima through learning.
- Wonsulsa (원술사, 圓術師; "Circle-technique user" or "Circler")
- Dansulsa (斷술사, 단術師; "Pressure-technique user"? or "Pressurer"?)
Dansul is the ability to, from far away, create an area with an enormously large amount of shinsoo pressure. Dansulsa may be a sub-category of Wave Controllers.
- Hwayeomsa (화염사, 火炎師; "Flame user" or "Flamer")
Though never officially confirmed, it seems a Flame user is a person able to somehow form flames from shinsoo currents.
- Jeonsulsa (전술사, 電術師; "Lightning User" or "Lightninger")
Though never officially confirmed, it seems a Lightning user is a person able to somehow form electricity from shinsoo currents.
Notes and Trivia
- As the story develops, battles that utilize positions, such as combinations like Light Bearer-Spear Bearer and Scout-Fisherman will come out one by one.
- If positions fight each other, in most cases Fisherman wins.
- ↑ Vol.2 Ch.154: 36F - Hell Train: Hoaqin (2)
- ↑ Siu Blog
- ↑ GoDai Blog
- ↑ Ch.28: 2F - Position Test (1); Lero-Ro's explanation.
- ↑ Vol.2 Ch.30: 21F - Flower of Zygaena (2); blog post
- ↑ []