|This article contains profile of Phantaminum, the strongest person in the Tower. He is an Irregular and entirely different entity called Axis. He is a crossover character from SIU's previous manhwa/comic before Tower of God was created. The series was currently suspended and will continue after TOG ends.|
|“||You know, do you not? That famous Irregular, Phantaminum, who stormed Zahard's castle.||”|
Phantaminum (펜타미넘, Pentamineom) is a mysterious and highly dangerous Irregular, currently 1st in the ranking. He is famous for contributing to the creation of the stereotype against Irregulars. He is presumably the most powerful entity in the Tower and is actually an Axis (author). As the "Riddle", he is the most puzzling entity in the Tower: no clear motives, no clear relationships.
Phantaminum appeared suddenly in the Tower and broke into the Zahard's inner palace, killing many royals and courtiers, all of whom were high-level Rankers. He succeeded in breaking all of the lines of defense and ultimately faced Zahard but he disappeared without a fight. When Phantaminum broke into the palace, it is said he met Ha Yuri Zahard in the inner palace. There is a great diversity of opinion as to why he didn't kill her. Yuri Zahard didn't say anything about the matter except that, "He was a dirty one" (더러운 놈, "scumbag").
Origin of the Sobriquet
His mysterious appearance and disappearance from The Tower left many unanswered questions, which is how he got the sobriquet, "Riddle". Another reason is his combat style. It is said that he had a freewheeling and desultory combat style and had used a weapon that had not been seen anywhere inside the Tower. Most of the eye-witnesses either died or lost their minds with fear, so the stories were not accurately reported. Put simply, Phantaminum is a monster whose information starts and ends with a riddle.
There were a lot of objections in the Ranking Administration Office about giving Phantaminum the 1st ranking, who had disappeared after the attack on the palace of Zahard and had become inactive, but everyone agreed his impressive strength alone was overwhelming. As a result, Phantaminum became the No. 1 Ranker by showing himself in only one battle, dragging the "Red Tower" Enryu down to 2nd rank.
He was seen very little in the Tower after the attack on the palace, and most of the stories are rumors, therefore it's hard to confirm any of the stories. There's a rumor that he is in a cat-and-dog like a relationship with Urek Mazino, but it is not confirmed. There are also rumors that he is the only one who could ever ascend to the 135th Floor.
Every Ranker is on the watch for the movement of this monster.
Powers and Abilities
Despite only ever being recorded in a single battle, having been able to single-handedly decimate the Zahard Empire, killing much of its royals and courtiers who are all High Rankers, it is certain that Phantaminum is extraordinarily strong, with his performance in this battle being so frightening he was quickly considered to be the most powerful being in the whole Tower. It is said that Phantaminum had a freewheeling and desultory combat style and had used a weapon that had not been seen anywhere inside the Tower. Most of the eye-witnesses either died or lost their minds with fear, so the stories were not accurately reported.
Phantaminum was actually originally a normal human being but was "awakened", using an unknown process, into an Axis. Being an Axis, Phantaminum possesses a power that, when compared to a normal individual, is close to that of a god. This is because normally, the will and actions of an Axis can only be prevented by an Axis of higher level, and a non-Axis has no chance against an Axis in battle. In short, Phantaminum can only be defeated by a more powerful Axis. He is said to be one of the most powerful Axis in the universe.
As an Axis, Phantaminum is the "author", or god, of one "story" in the universe. In exchange for taking on the responsibility of managing this story, he is given a powerful authority over the events that occur in the story. He is able to "write" records that cannot be erased or changed.
Every Axis has the power to generate a space around them, in which they can use a unique power that cannot be denied or negated. Under the specifications of this ability, Phantaminum can control some aspects of reality within his own field. Phantaminum's power, however, is unknown. Axis primarily have the ability to control the reality of a finite amount of space around them.
Note about Axis: SIU admitted it's a crossover from a different manga/manhwa/webcomic. So most of this stuff is mainly how it works "outside of Tower". Not much is and some aspects may change in the future.
Notes and Trivia
- Based on previous Talse Uzer Story works, Phantaminum, as an Axis, is an entity that was 'awakened'. He was originally a normal human being.
- Currently, no one in the Tower is aware of the fact that Phantaminum is an Axis.
- The Rankers of the Tower often debate about who would stand victorious if Phantaminum ever clashed with Enryu. Since Phantaminum is an Axis while Enryu isn't, the outcome is obvious that Phantaminum would win, but people in the Tower do not know that fact.
- It is said that Urek Mazino entered the Tower to track down Phantaminum.
- The author once stated that "Phantaminum could instantly destroy the Tower of God story if he wanted to". In all seriousness, this was not a joke.
- SIU has stated that he is one of the 5 most powerful Axis in the universe.
- It is discussed that Shinsoo itself may be the Axis field of the true God the Tower was built to reach. In this case, manipulating Shinsoo may be able to harm Phantaminium as it has the properties of an Axis field.
- SIU does not know whether Phantaminum will ever appear in the Tower of God story. As mentioned above, SIU wrote that Phantaminum is a top level character of the whole TUS universe. From a world-building perspective, Phantaminum predates the Tower of God story.
- (Yu Han Sung to Lero Ro) "The Zahard Family's Rankers, known to be the strongest, all fell at the hands of just Phantaminum..."
- ↑ User Blog:GoDai/GoDai's Translations: People and Groups in the Tower (1)#Rankings
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Ch.57: 2F - Last Examination (1)
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 http://cafe.naver.com/inutero3334/62461
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 4.8 4.9 Pentaminum's character profile (SIU's blog)
- ↑ Ch.02: 1F - Headon's Floor (2)